1. You have just released your 2nd full length CD this time with Eibon how did this agreement come about?
During the summer of 2009 we started looking for a new record deal, considering the contractual agreement with My Kingdom Music expired with the release of our debut CD "Automatisme Psychique". We know Mauro Berchi and Eibon Records since a long time, due to our mutual friendship and occasional collaboration with his project Neronoia, so when he heard the new material he promptly offered to us a deal for releasing the new album.
2. Shape a new star has a much more Goth/Post Rock feel to it the last CD was more Electro and Ambient to my ears was this on purpose?
Yes, in a way it was on purpose. We wished to experiment with a more song based structure in this album, trying to reinvent our sound with a edgier and "in your face" feeling.
3. What happened with My Kingdom Music were you not happy with there output for the debut?
We were absolutely happy with Francesco Palumbo and his label My Kingdom Music. At the time of the release of "Automatisme Psychique" Francesco worked in a very professional and committed way, we just thought that for our second album Eibon Records was a more suitable label, considering My Kingdom Music is focusing more and more towards "metal" releases.
4. Does Actnoir like to play live?
Yes we do! By the way, on April the 9th we'll play live in Casalecchio di Reno/Bologna at club Blogos (www.ilblogos.it)... If you happen to be in Italy on that day you should definitely experience Act Noir live!
5. I hear a lot of Canaan in you music were they a big influence on Actnoir? or is that just accidental the sound of the 2 bands being so similar?
Can't really tell you... we like Canaan albums, and we deeply respect Mauro Berchi's commitment and enthusiasm for releasing new music. I think Canaan and Act Noir have a common musical background: both bands have been influenced by the same *alternative* music scene of the 80's.
6. Is there a story or theme behind Shape a new star?
The album is mainly based on the struggle to make amends of human beings. Each song represents the storyline of a person who strives to expiate his difficult past and aims for redemption.
7. Where do you see Actnoir heading in style and musical tastes?
To be perfectly honest we don't really know... It's a bit early to say where our music will head in the future. At the moment we are focused to promote live the new album and then we are going to take a break of few months. In the meantime I have several unfinished tracks that I wish to develop for a side-project, verging on electro/IDM sounds.
8. I think your music is very visual will there ever be a Dvd release?
Not for the time being. We are not that interested to spend time and money working on a DVD release.
9. The Italian experimental rock/ Electronic scene seems to be close knit is this why you have worked with to labels from Italy only so far?
Not really, the reason for working only with Italian labels has been accidental. We sent several promo/demo CDs to foreign record labels, but at the end of the day only Italian labels shown a real interest to invest money on a "physical release" of our music.
10. If there was one band you could collab with who would it be and why?
We would rather collaborate with a top producer/sound engineer rather than a band. We love the production skills of Steven Wilson, Flood, Brian Eno and Trent Reznor!
11. Whats Actnoir thoughts on the digital media age do you CD CD and Vinyl totally disappearing giving way to a full digital musical format only?
We believe that CD and vinyl releases will become more and more a niche market for collectors and true music lovers/audiophiles. It is unfortunate to see that the general trend of people is to illegally download music from the web, a "bad habit" that will cause several bands to stop making music for poor sales.
12. Is there any US distro or promotion happening on Shape a new star? As I feel it would do very well over here esp in a labels hands here like The End, Projekt or even Kranky...
I don't know about promotion, but The End Records should take care of the US distribution of "Shape a New Start". At beginning of April the album will be available through Amazon, CD Universe and few others US-online shops.
13. Do the members of Actnoir work in other projects outside of this band?
Yes, we do. Me (Sergio...) and Stefano did collaborate with Gianni Pedretti/Colloquio on his last effort "Si Muove e Ride", a very special CD released by Eibon Records, while Stefano and Michele play in a not-only-cover band called Plum Cake (www.myspace.com/
14. You have a wonderful website tell us about that a bit..
We have to thank our guitarist Stefano for designing the website, he did everything by himself. We like the minimalistic look and feel of the site, moreover we have been praised by several web-designers for its browsing simplicity!
15. Thank you for the time any closing thoughts here.
Thanks to you and to Absolute Zero Media for the precious support!
Please visit our website to know more about Act Noir: http://www.actnoir.com